Monday, July 9, 2012

The Trip: Day Two

I know, I haven’t updated in ages. Since that first day of my trip, I’ve completed the trip, moved (mostly), and begun my new job. For the most part, these activities have kept me really busy or too tired to bother posting. Well, except for my three day exile in Holbrook, Arizona when I was too depressed. More on that later.
I’ve decided kind of to post about my trip in order with a few exceptions, this post being one of them. The highlight of my second trip day was, as I expected it would be, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater in southwestern Pennsylvania. Fallingwater deserves its own post so I’ll get back to that. Meanwhile, here’s the rest of that day.

As I mentioned previously, I spent the first night of my trip in Johnstown, PA which I had never heard of but probably should have. Johnstown is famous for its devastating floods; there have been a few but the most famous was back towards the end of the 19th century, 1889 I think. That flood was a huge disaster and I learned all about it at the Johnstown Flood Museum. It was more tragic than it probably needed to be: the flood was essentially caused by a burst dam and a ton of rain that didn't exactly help matters. The dam was crap, hadn't been maintained, and at the point of its bursting, existed to maintain a man-made lake as part of a hunting club for rich people from Pittsburgh (think for a minute and you'll have an idea who belonged). Although the dam was in bad condition and changes to the lake made its collapse worse, the whole thing was basically declared an act of god or something like that and victims lost fights to recover damages. Also more than 2,000 people died so basically it sucked a whole lot. Although I did go to the flood museum and stuff (and could therefore provide more information on it), I decided to focus on happy things when possible. Always look on the bright side of life, that's what I say. Anyway.

Johnstown’s other claim to fame is that it’s home to the world’s steepest inclined plane which looks like this:


As you can maybe see, cars are sort of attached and raised while staying parallel to the ground. It is possible to ride up the plane but I didn’t do it, either because my intel said it didn’t open until noon or because I’m a big baby or both. Your pick. (Hint: the actual answer is both and PS my intel was faulty). Instead, I headed out of Johnstown towards Fallingwater. At this point, let’s fast forward a few hours.

So there I was in the Fallingwater gift shop, thunder was booming, lightning flashing, and buckets of rain were pouring down. The clock was ticking and I’d covered no distance at all. With that in mind, I decided to skip Kentuck Knob, the other FLW home just a few miles from Fallingwater. I’ll get there someday, probably the day I lay siege to Fallingwater and claim it as my own.

Once the rain let up, I decided to head south to the National Road for the rest of Pennsylvania and West Virginia. I passed through Ohiopyle State Park along the way.  Ohiopyle boasts a river and waterfall with the same name, tough rafting (I didn’t), and some other stuff I skipped. Like ice cream. Why did I skip the ice cream? Ohiopyle Falls is powerful but not all that high. I made a movie:


I have no idea if this works or not... if it does, check out my nonexistent movie-making skills!

With the mist from the rain, the river was really beautiful. I’ve read that nearby Cucumber Falls is more impressive or at least prettier though not as powerful. I considered a visit because I love both waterfalls and cucumbers but I decided against it because it was getting late, it was still raining, and the access was via dirt road. I also don’t know how far from the road the waterfall is. I’d love more information on the place. After all, once I live in Fallingwater the park will be my neighbor!

For anyone who likes road trips, http://www.byways.org/ is a good site to know. I actually don’t love some details of the site like the tiny, virtually detailless maps of the various byways and lack of information on access points. I wish they’d work with Google or Mapquest or something to make finding and driving the byways easier. Still, the site is helpful. I’m a fan of being off the Interstate when possible; you see more and more interesting places, stopping is easier, roads are often very scenic, and there may be history or mystique which, in my own humble opinion, the Interstate tends to lack. One such fascinating byway is the National Road. I decided to drive a portion of it because it went due west, access was near Fallingwater, I’d heard of it, and it’s historic and pretty scenic. Interesting sites include this reproduction toll booth, a reminder of the road’s past as a toll road:



                                                          That's a toll booth? No EZPass I guess

and the occasional Madonna of the Trail:


There's one in every state the road goes through and they're about pioneer spirit or something. This is West Virginia's.

I also encountered the steepest posted grade of the entire trip: 13%. Yes, in Pennsylvania. I figure other roads may have been steeper but not accessible to trucks or something and grades weren’t posted. Also, this road was straight, not like all those awful switchbacks I faced out west. That downward slope led me to West Virginia, my third state of the trip.

Sorry West Virginia, I wasn’t impressed. I got there later than I had intended so things that may have been interesting were closed. I did walk around Oglebay Park which is on a hill above Wheeling. There are several museums there (all were closed) and the grounds are very pretty so it was a worthwhile stop.


Wheeling is famous as the “birthplace” of West Virginia which occurred somewhere downtown and I may have a picture somewhere. Honestly though, Wheeling at 7:00 on a Saturday night was not a happening place so I didn't stay long.

Next time I’ll try to hit the New River Gorge since that’s supposed to be really beautiful. This time, I just continued west. My day ended in Ohio where I decided to make a major change to my trip: I’d go south first. Thus ended trip day two.

No comments:

Post a Comment